Tony Evans, MD, FAAFP recently shared an important insight for healthcare executives trying to align with their physicians in the New World of Healthcare.
Tony is CEO of the Iowa Healthcare Collaborative, "a provider-led and patient-focused nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting a culture of continuous improvement in healthcare [by] putting healthcare providers in a leadership position to drive clinical improvements and accelerate change."
Here was his insight:
- Fee For Service is a "Fishing Tournament." The winner works alone to land the most and biggest fish (volume).
- Value Based Purchasing is a "Football Game." It's a team sport. There are special rules that require coordinated play among all the players. They win or lose together.
- Physicians are the Ultimate "Fishermen." They have learned to play solo. "Team" is not part of their normal life. But they are fast-learners and can to learn how to play Football instead!
Here's the application:
- Health system executives who see the New World coming quickly realize they need physicians to help them prepare for the game.
- Don't start playing Football before creating a Training Camp for the high-potential physician leaders in your midst.
- Start with the fundamentals of how to THINK and ACT together as team mates - - before you try to teach the techniques of blocking and tackling (population health management, etc.)
- You might be surprised at how much you and your team need to move from Fishing to Football just like your physicians do!